Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Content-we love a villain



I love reading original blog posts.  I really do.  Like a TV show, there's various villains that pop up on your posts and content.

I love when there's a passionate discussion going on within a specific post.  I've been on teams where people worry about when a poster disagrees with what the copywriter created.  I really enjoy when that happens.  It's not because I'm combative.  It tells me that people actually care about what is being written.

I've always believed it's better to be disliked or liked than someone having no opinion or feeling about you.   There's a villain for every hero-It's generated billions of dollars at movie box offices.  Why can't there be a "villain" for a copywriter.  Trust me when I say, a villain is not the troll that you see on random posts from people.  That villain does quite a bit of things.

They solidify our target 


Everybody writes.  Everybody has a voice.  Not everybody knows who their target is suppose to be. Target market means more than just gender and age-there's psychographics involved in it.  When you post content for review,  the villain creates dissension and that helps identify who our target could be.  There has to be a conflict and disagreement.  From there, we can actually find out more about the people that respond to our villain.

 They challenge us


Villain's challenge our views and how we write.  They help us become better because they offer a perspective that's foreign from our own.   As writers, we tend to look at what we write and sometimes forget how to make people feel and react.  The villain sparks that emotion in themselves and fuses it toward others.  Suddenly, our post that only received 5 comments, now has 50 with a serious internal debate going on.  If it weren't for the villain, that wouldn't have happened.  Every time someone disagrees with my content, I feel like I have gotten better writing and understanding people.


They help us "kill with kindness."


When people disagree with you about something passionate, it's hard to just smile and carry on.  There's always a villain who simply just wants you to slip up and lose your credibility.  Being diplomatic is a life skill that is also an invaluable work skill.    The way you respond to villains via your content responses shows how genuine and sharp you are to participants.  If the villain has a valid statement, there's no reason they shouldn't be heard and acknowledged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment