Monday, September 21, 2015

Disarm them with empathy and wits.

"I bet you can't spend all that money in your pocket right now.  I bet you're too scared to even attempt a risk that could make you millions of dollars.  You're friends are doing it-I don't think you even qualify for what I have."

Sales is a chess game


If you say what I just typed, you definitely won't go anywhere.  Sales is not Russian roulette, but more a never ending chess game.  It's continual strategy and everybody has their tactics but after time, these tactics wear off.  In my young sales career, I'm always looking at ways to be a better at persuading people why they should listen to me.  Prospects are always prepared with responses to stop me in my tracks.  Like a chess game, I have to anticipate the various moves they can make.

Old sales books are rather archaic



I've never been the hugest fan of sales books because they are just sales authors trying to sell you on tactics that maybe worked at their peak.  Approaching prospects with old school tactics is not effective anymore.  The prospect has much more power and information at their finger tips.  The word "value" gets tossed around so much but the guessing game is finding out what they value most.  the digital marketing consulting firm I work with has been utilizing social media, and true engagement to connect with prospects.

OK, I can recommend one book and that's: "Predictable revenue" by Aaron Ross

I love sales and psychology behind what influences people to buy.  Every buyer has their own motives that trigger their senses to go "Listen to what this person is saying." It's up to us to anticipate what they may say.  It's dangerous to do this because when we make assumptions..well you know how it goes..




How do you do it?


What we can do is take their objections and find buzz words that trigger their response to saying to NO to us.  I usually like to take what they say to me and throw it back at them mirroring their concern.  This doesn't work unless you actually care about helping them more than just getting a sales quota.  Once I do that, I usually think which services I can provide confidently to get rid of the "pain."  Add a little wit to make the conversation feel lighter and you're one step closer to winning the prospect over.


2 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Gabe. Having been pitched to countless times, I prefer an honest conversation and someone who understands it's a partnership I'm after. Your closing paragraph hits that mentality on its head. Share honestly how you can help and you will find the right clients. Try to "sell" everyone, and you're just wasting your time.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thanks for reading. Send me your blog if you have a personal one.

      Delete