Monday, September 28, 2015

Got me workin day and night!




"They say that working...is what.a.man's.supposed.to.do.
I say, It ain't right! if I can't give sweet love to you"

While you read this blog post, feel free wear a sequined glove, moonwalk, and scream "HeHe."

Besides being one of my favorite songs from the king of pop, I had a conversation with friends about having a work life balance. We are all young and very early 30's men that work the professional 9-5 grind struggling to maintain semblance of an actual life.  By actual life, I'm talking the outside hobbies and passions that don't coincide with professional work.

Of course all the people with kids will look at us going "What do you know about work-life balance?!"

I do not want to open up a can of worms--We ALL struggle with maintaining our professional and private life.

US corporations have been slow to recognize true valued time of their workers.  "work hard. play hard" has been the mantra given to entice employees to work for a company.  One of the things I love with my company now is how my boss truly believes those who work smart can enjoy life much better.  This strict work week of 9-5 has been supported with mixed results.

Are the workers getting everything done in the allotted time to be productive?

What if those same works had a shortened schedule, but same pay-Would they be more productive?

Other countries like France have been experimenting with the work-life balance.  Facts state that the US is at the bottom of programs for child care, paid time-off, and hours worked defining "work-life" balance.

 It shouldn't be just a gender thing, there's more to life than working long hours and watching events fly past you.  OK, when you have a career that you love, it doesn't feel like work-I get that.

Work should never cause you to lose sleep, lose weight in an unhealthy way, or become estranged from your family.  To quote the Dalai Lama...

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2011/10/dalai-lama.jpg

Now Playing- "Working day and night"

No comments:

Post a Comment