Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Metaphors and Marketing

I'm tired of expending my energy on people that are not 100% sold.  For now, I'll target the low hanging fruit.

Every organization I've ever worked for calls "easy" opportunities the low hanging fruit.

If you're a very tall person, does that mean you can reach higher than most on opportunities?

Metaphors have helped us understand technical sounding terms and form our own perceptions.  I love this because each marketer has their own spin on common marketing vocabulary.  You even have companies that have completely created terms that we all utilize.

Unicorn



One of the terms I particularly love is "Unicorn."   I didn't know what a Unicorn in marketing was until about this summer.  A unicorn was originally thought as a start up company whose value had exceeded $1BN dollars.  The term has now spilled into marketing for the very few that can do it all.  A do it all marketer that uses both their left and right side of the brain is a unicorn.

Creative+Technology+Writer+Salesperson= Marketing unicorn.

Metaphors have an ability to make us pause in question.  They are great to disrupt conversations. Debates, arguments, opinions, are all psychological dances we have with each other.  A metaphor creates a logical distraction used in a powerful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment