Monday, October 19, 2015

Failing on an ice breaker

Fall in Chicago has me dreading the harsh reality that winter is not too far.

For the last four winters in Chicago, I have not worn boots.  The main reason is how ridiculously expensive they can be and how much a pain it is to take them off.  Wearing regular dress shoes on ice, has me tip toeing to the train station.    My biggest fear....

I'll fall like charlie brown trying to kick a football.




The more resistance I put on my foot steps, the easier it seems I will fall.  

It can apply to over thinking a situation and a person's response.  We always talk about "ice" breakers to get people comfortable with us.  Too many times, people are scared to break the ice for fear of falling.  One of my sales managers always told me you slowly walk on the ice to get your footing.  Once you do that, you begin to take quick steps so you are confident.  You ask questions leading to the reason you are talking to that person.  Whether you ask for a close, or a conversation, don't be afraid to ask for what you want!  You test the ice by jumping a little and you simply ask for what you want.

I can't break the ice !. .

The ice is stronger than it appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment